HOW TO USE INTERMITTENT CARB FASTING TO LOSE FAT
The A-B-C-D Express Guidelines
- We will use carb fasting to jump start your body. (this means no carbs for 16 hours.)
- I suggest you eat all your meals in a 6-8 hour eating window. In your case, maybe eating from 10am to 6pm (or 11-7pm).
- I would also like you to start your day with something in your belly, but zero carbs. The purpose of this is to keep your body in a state of ketosis and eat the right foods to keep your body using fat for energy.
- For the best results, do not eat 3-4 hours upon waking before having your first real meal. Your last meal should be around 3-4 hours before going to sleep.
Wake up at 6:30am.
Meal 1 at 10:30am..
Meal 2 at 2:30am.
Meal 3 at 6:30pm.
By skipping a morning breakfast you force your body to break into it’s fat stores to fuel itself instead of burning food energy. That is why carb intermittent fasting is great for energy and fat loss for women. In addition, by pushing your first meal later into the day you can enjoy big, satisfying healthy meals while staying in a slight caloric deficit.
Just a little advice, if you haven’t skipped breakfast before it may take some getting used to. Maybe start your day with some almonds or walnuts first as a breakfast. This is probably the hardest part about transitioning into using intermittent fasting for fat loss.
But after a few days of skipping breakfast your body will learn to thrive in the fasted state. You will stimulate the sympathetic system and feel effects such as alertness, laser like focus, and a hunger blunting effect.
SHOULD YOU DRINK COFFEE IN THE FASTED STATE?
Consuming 2-3 small cups of coffee a day is fine. I encourage consuming your coffee as first thing in the morning. It will accelerate your metabolism, reduce your appetite and make you feel good. If you are going to be working out then the coffee will have a positive impact on your strength and stamina.
The effects of coffee seem to last up to 6 hours so even if you train later in the day you should still get an extra kick from the morning coffee. Furthermore, the polyphenols in the coffee is a rich source of antioxidants and has been shown to have numerous health benefits!
SOME BENEFITS OF LOW TO MODERATE coffee CONSUMPTION
- Coffee blunts appetite and has little to no calories
- Coffee is a nootropic and boosts cognitive performance and focus
- Coffee increases the metabolism
- Coffee boosts workout performance and excites the central nervous system
- Coffee drinkers outlive non drinkers and have a reduced risk of mortality
- Coffee reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s, Parkinsons, Type 2 Diabetes, Liver Disease
- Coffee is a great source of antioxidants
- Coffee boosts dopamine levels and makes you feel amazing
HOW TO BREAK THE FAST (1st Meal)
BREAKING YOUR FAST IS IMPORTANT. First, I recommend keeping the first two meals of the intermittent fasting meal plan very healthy and modest in size.
If you break your fast with a big meal you will shift your body out of the sympathetic mode and into the para sympathetic mode. This will shut off fat burning and make you tired.
Definitely not ideal for the midday/afternoon. Moreover, a big meal during the day doesn’t seem to be very effective for limiting hunger (my own personal experience, could be different for you).
Lastly cooking, eating and cleaning a large meal during the day is a hassle and is not very lifestyle friendly.
With this intermittent fasting meal plan, the goal is to eat just enough food to nourish your body and stave off hunger without overtaxing your digestive system. This will allow you to maximize energy and focus.
I like to have a smallish meal of 300-400 calories. I opt for some quick/easy protein, fruit and some healthy fats.
MEALS 1 & 2 EXAMPLE:
- Option #1: Carb Smart Bread (+Cinnamon) and some blueberries
- Option #2: Can of Tuna, Apple (+Cinnamon) and 1tbs of olive oil
- Option #3: Chicken breast, Salad Greens, Apple and Half an Avocado
- Option #4: Omelette (2 whole eggs + 0.75-1 cup whites) and Berries
- Option #5: 20g protein shake with mixed with 1 cup almond milk (unsweetened), 20g almonds and serving of fruit. (+Cinnamon)
KEY POINTS FOR INTERMITTENT FASTING MEALS
As you can see all of the sample intermittent fasting meals included in the fat loss diet have a convenient source of protein, fruit and some healthy fats. This food combination is what I have personally found to be the most effective for staying satisfied on low calorie meals. The fruit is highly nutritious, easily digestible and is effective at replenishing liver glycogen.
By increasing liver glycogen you will bring your body into an anabolic state and reduce hunger. I recommend including the fat source (nuts, olive oil or whole eggs). If you keep fat too low in these small meals you will get hungry again very quickly.
WHAT SHOULD THE next two meal look like?
By this point you have fasted, consumed one small meal and thus have creating a very large calorie buffer. It is likely that you have only consumed 300-400 calories by this point.
Depending on what your goal (Wait for it, it is more than you want I know) this may give you 1000-1200 calories to play with. I suggest keeping each meal around 500-600 calories in size. I recommend keeping this meal high in protein with moderate amounts of fat and carbs.
INTERMITTENT FASTING MEAL PLAN EXAMPLE
- Chicken Breast, Veggies, Brown Rice, Coconut Oil (add 1-3tsp to rice and 1tsp for cooking chicken). Frozen Raspberries for a tasty sweet after
- Chicken Breast, Veggies, Yam Wedges. Frozen Blueberries for a tasty sweet after
- Fish, Veggies, Sweet Potato (add cinnamon)+ Salad. One piece of dark chocolate (at least 80%)
- Eggs (one whole, four whites), Rapini (greens), peppers, and Salad. Add fresh berries to salad
Notice that I would include some polyphenols at each meal.
Your early AM carbless snack
I would suggest putting in your coffee, wait for it, one tablespoon coconut oil and blend it in the blender.
2 Egg Whites